On Tuesday night, Vanderbilt was hungrier than Florida. Literally:
This sequence, I think, sums up why Vanderbilt won last night. Josh Henderson was so hungry in the O'Connell Center that right after he drained an 80-foot chest pass (Stephen Rivers would be proud) he ran off the floor and literally stole some kid's popcorn. Like just a very nonchalant "hey, you have popcorn? I'mma grab some of that and then I'm gonna run back to the locker room and what are you gonna do about it?" kind of hungry. We at Anchor of Gold understand that you come to this site for hard-hitting analysis of Vanderbilt sports and that's what you get. Did you see any of Florida's players running up to fans in the front row and stealing their food? No you didn't, and that's why they lost.
Clearly fired up by their teammate's demonstration of just how hungry he was, Vanderbilt's other players (sadly Stallings did not draw up any more plays that involved Henderson shooting from 80 feet even though the first one that he claimed to draw up worked swimmingly) shot 62 percent in the second half, including 6-of-11 from three, and had an effective field goal percentage of 67.3 percent for the night. And I will be very sad if Josh Henderson's second career three-pointer (which really should have been more like a six-pointer given the degree of difficulty) did not put Vanderbilt in the NCAA Tournament.
|Wade Baldwin IV||34||4||8||1||2||4||7||0||4||4||3||13||3||6||2||1||8.3||0.24|
- Clearly, Josh Henderson should have been credited with a steal on that play. This was an oversight on the official scorer's part.
- Also, Damian Jones will be inhabiting Mike White's nightmares for the next ten years.
- Jeff Roberson, too, though in a much less obvious way. Like the way where I looked at the box score after the game and said "whoa, Jeff had 18 and 10?"
- It was the kind of night where my reaction to Wade Baldwin IV having six turnovers was "meh."
- And outside of Hendo, the bench didn't really do much.
Kentucky comes to Memorial Gym on Saturday. We're taking bets on (a) the number of times Ashley Judd is shown on the TV broadcast and (b) whether it is more or less than the number of times that the location of the benches is mentioned.