Optional Musical Accompaniment
We are now 15 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against Hawaii. Two players wear 15 for the Commodores. First, defensive lineman Nate Clifton. The 6’5”, 280-pound redshirt senior from La Vergne started all 12 games last season and finished with 22 tackles; for his career at Vanderbilt, he has five tackles for loss and two sacks. There’s also walk-on receiver Richie Hoskins, a 6’1”, 196-pound redshirt sophomore from Lake Forest, Illinois, who made an appearance on special teams in his first season at Vanderbilt after transferring from Middlebury.
Not really a lot of news today, other than some more realignment nonsense with the MWC waiting to pounce while the ACC mulls whether they want to add Cal and Stanford. I mean, oh, and Greg Sankey never wanted that 12-team playoff in the first place, did he:
Greg Sankey tells @finebaum that the CFP should re-examine the expanded Playoff due to realignment. Noted that we don’t know how many FBS conferences there will be in 30-60 days. Still supports a 12-team bracket , but wants to look at the designated spots vs. at-large breakdown.— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) August 8, 2023
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 1:00 PM: PGA Tour: FedEx St. Jude Championship, Second Round (Golf Channel)
- 5:40 PM: MLB: Guardians at Rays (ESPN+)
- 6:00 PM: MLB: Braves at Mets or Reds at Pirates (MLB Network)
- 6:07 PM: MLB: Cubs at Blue Jays (Apple TV+)
- 9:00 PM: MLB: Orioles at Mariners or Rockies at Dodgers (MLB Network)
- 9:15 PM: MLB: Rangers at Giants (Apple TV+)
- 2:00 AM: FIFA Women’s World Cup: Australia v. France (FOX)
- 5:30 AM: FIFA Women’s World Cup: England v. Colombia (FOX)
MLB: Orioles 5, Astros 4 ... Pirates 7, Braves 5 ... Tigers 3, Twins 0 ... Guardians 4, Blue Jays 3 ... Cardinals 5, Rays 2 ... Phillies 6, Nationals 2 ... Red Sox 2, Royals 0 ... Dodgers 2, Rockies 1.
FIFA Women’s World Cup: Spain 2-1 Netherlands ... Japan 1-2 Sweden.