Optional Musical Accompaniment
So, if you’ll recall, following Vanderbilt’s 31-24 win over Florida on Saturday, Vanderbilt students filed out of the stands and onto the field in an orderly manner, presenting absolutely no danger to anyone on the field or even the goalposts, which as far as I know remain in FirstBank Stadium and not at the bottom of the Cumberland River.
Possibly the slowest rushing of the field ever pic.twitter.com/La0nbgQxST— Nick de la Torre (@delatorre) November 19, 2022
Look, I sort of understand the rationale behind the SEC’s rules around rushing the field. I particularly think rushing the field is tacky and overdone, but like my thoughts on marijuana, this doesn’t mean that it should be verboten. Discouraged, sure, but when this is treated the same as the melee that ensued at Neyland Stadium after Tennessee beat Alabama — or, hell, at Williams-Brice Stadium on Saturday night after South Carolina beat Tennessee — just what the hell are we doing here? Is the idea here to make clear to everyone involved that the athletes at the universities are to be kept separate from the rest of the student body? Are these college sports teams or not?
In more substantive news, Barton Simmons went on the Commodore Hour last night and Robbie Weinstein has helpfully recapped. Also, lots of good information in Chris Lee’s latest podcast (including some stuff about just what the hell Vanderbilt is doing ranked 57th in APR.)
Bad Gambling Advice
Yesterday: 1-3 ATS, 1-3 totals; season to date: 26-30-1 ATS, 29-28 totals
- LSU vs. Akron (12:30 PM CT, FloHoops): Akron +5.5, Under 133
- Georgia vs. UAB (3:00 PM CT, CBS Sports): Georgia +8, Over 148.5
- Auburn vs. Bradley (5:00 PM CT, CBS Sports): Bradley +12.5, Under 139.5
- Arkansas vs. Creighton (7:00 PM CT, ESPN): Creighton -1.5, Under 142.5
Sports on TV
All times Central. College basketball schedule here.
- 7:00 AM: World Cup: Denmark v. Tunisia (FS1)
- 10:00 AM: World Cup: Mexico v. Poland (FOX)
- 1:00 PM: World Cup: France v. Australia (FOX)
- 6:00 PM: NCAAF: Ball State at Miami (Ohio) (ESPN+)
- 6:00 PM: NCAAF: Bowling Green at Ohio (ESPNU)
- 6:00 PM: NHL: Sabres at Canadiens (NHL Network)
- 6:30 PM: NBA: Nets at 76ers (TNT)
- 9:00 PM: NBA: Lakers at Suns (TNT)
- 4:00 AM: Morocco v. Croatia (FS1)
NFL: 49ers 38, Cardinals 10.
NBA: Cavaliers 114, Hawks 102 ... Pacers 123, Magic 102 ... Bulls 121, Celtics 107 ... Bucks 119, Trail Blazers 111 ... Timberwolves 105, Heat 101 ... Pelicans 128, Warriors 83 ... Knicks 129, Thunder 119 ... Clippers 121, Jazz 114.
NHL: Devils 5, Oilers 2 ... Flames 5, Flyers 2 ... Bruins 5, Lightning 3 ... Islanders 3, Maple Leafs 2 ... Jets 4, Hurricanes 3 ... Predators 4, Coyotes 3 ... Blues 3, Ducks 1 ... Avalanche 3, Stars 2 ... Sharks 5, Senators 1 ... Golden Knights 5, Canucks 4.