Optional Musical Accompaniment
We are now 89 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against ETSU. 89 for the Commodores is sophomore Diego LaMonica. The 6’4”, 230-pound tight end from Miami did not play in 2020 (and thus is really a redshirt freshman) and is probably competing for a backup role behind presumptive starter Ben Bresnahan this season.
Vanderbilt baseball won the Nashville Regional last night on Isaiah Thomas’s grand slam in the 11th inning, taking a 14-11 victory over Georgia Tech to advance to the super regionals. There, they will meet East Carolina, which beat Maryland 9-6 last night to sweep the Greenville Regional to advance to the super regional round for the sixth time in history and second consecutive tournament. The Pirates are 0-for-5 in the super regionals.
Also advancing to the super regionals yesterday: NC State (Ruston Regional), Texas Tech (Lubbock Regional), Arizona (Tucson Regional), Texas (Austin Regional), Notre Dame (South Bend Regional), and Tennessee (Knoxville Regional.) That leaves eight regionals to be decided today, which includes two (Gainesville and Starkville) that were delayed due to weather. They’ll play potentially two games today in Starkville, and might play a second in Gainesville if South Alabama wins the suspended game (which they led 4-0 when it was called off.)
So, here’s your schedule for today. With the exception of the two just mentioned, all of these are winner take all.
11:00 AM CT
- Gainesville Regional: South Alabama vs. South Florida (completion of suspended game) (ESPN3)
- Starkville Regional: Campbell vs. Mississippi State (ESPNU)
12:00 PM CT
- Oxford Regional: Southern Miss vs. Ole Miss (ESPN2)
1:25 PM CT
- Gainesville Regional: South Alabama vs. South Florida (if necessary) (ESPN3)
3:00 PM CT
- Fort Worth Regional: Oregon State vs. Dallas Baptist (ESPNU)
- Starkville Regional: Campbell vs. Mississippi State (if necessary) (ESPN3)
6:00 PM CT
- Fayetteville Regional: Arkansas vs. Nebraska (ESPN2)
- Columbia Regional: Old Dominion vs. Virginia (ESPNU)
9:00 PM CT
- Silly Con Valley Regional: Stanford vs. UC Irvine (ESPNU)
- Eugene Regional: Oregon vs. LSU (ESPN2)