Optional Musical Accompaniment
Today marks 66 days from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against East Tennessee State. There’s no 66 for Vanderbilt at the present time (again, with the caveat that freshmen don’t have numbers yet.)
And, the baseball team has decided to do this the hard way. The Commodores lost 13-2 to Mississippi State in Game 2 of the College World Series finals last night, surrendering a run in the first inning and four more in the third before things got out of hand with Tim Corbin going deep into the bullpen. The good news is that of the five pitchers Vanderbilt used on Tuesday night, exactly none of them were pitchers I would expect to see action in a competitive Game 3. The bad news is that a matchup between Vanderbilt’s leftovers and Mississippi State’s seems like it was more favorable than the Game 3 matchup between Kumar Rocker and Mississippi State’s Will Bednar — obviously, having Rocker available is great, but Bednar is also good. Anyway, tonight is for all the marbles. Game time is 6:00 PM CT on ESPN2. It looks like the weather will cooperate tonight after both Game 1 and Game 2 were delayed a while due to rain.
In brief other news, women’s tennis coach Geoff MacDonald — who spent last season as an assistant after 26 seasons as head coach, which included a national championship — will move into an administrative role.
MLB: Yankees 11, Angels 5 ... Phillies 4, Marlins 3 ... Nationals 4, Rays 3 ... Blue Jays 9, Mariners 3 ... Red Sox 7, Royals 6 ... Padres 5, Reds 4 ... Mets 4, Braves 3 ... Orioles 13, Astros 3 ... Brewers 2, Cubs 1 ... White Sox 7, Twins 6 ... Cardinals 3, Diamondbacks 2 ... Rockies 8, Pirates 0 ... Rangers 5, A’s 4 ... Dodgers 3, Giants 1.
NBA: Hawks 110, Bucks 88.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 11:20 AM: FIBA: Korea v. Venezuela (ESPN+)
- 12:15 PM: MLB: Diamondbacks at Cardinals (MLB Network)
- 12:50 PM: FIBA: Croatia v. Brazil (ESPN+)
- 1:05 PM: FIBA: Philippines v. Serbia (ESPN+)
- 1:10 PM: MLB: Cubs at Brewers (MLB.tv free game)
- 3:05 PM: MLB: Rays at Nationals (MLB Network)
- 5:55 PM: FIBA: China v. Canada (ESPN+)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi State (ESPN2)
- 6:05 PM: MLB: Marlins at Phillies (ESPN+)
- 6:07 PM: MLB: Mariners at Blue Jays (MLB Network/YouTube)
- 6:20 PM: MLB: Mets at Braves (MLB Network)
- 7:00 PM: NHL: Canadiens at Lightning (NBC Sports)
- 8:00 PM: NBA: Suns at Clippers (ESPN)
- 9:25 PM: FIBA: Czech Republic v. Turkey (ESPN+)