Optional Musical Accompaniment
And we’re 68 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against East Tennessee State. 68 for the Commodores is offensive lineman Jason Brooks. The 6’4”, 275-pound sophomore appeared in one game in 2020, at Kentucky, and otherwise this was a redshirt year, as was the case for most true freshman offensive linemen — and at 275 pounds, he’s still a little undersized for the SEC.
And we are finally here: Vanderbilt is playing in the College World Series final for the fourth time in school history, all since 2014. The Commodores beat Virginia in 2014, lost to the Hoos in a rematch in 2015, and then beat Michigan in the most recent College World Series in 2019. This time, it’s Mississippi State. We know these guys: Vanderbilt took two of three from the Bulldogs in April, beat them in the College World Series in 2019, and lost to them in a 2018 super regional.
It seems that Vanderbilt is playing the heel in this matchup, after advancing via no contest thanks to NC State’s, ahem, issues and thanks to a lot of opposing fan conspiracy theories about the Opportunity VU program which provides a lot of need-based aid to all students, and included in “all students” are some Vanderbilt baseball players. To that, all I have to say is...
Yeah. Pretty much. Anyway, Game 1 is tonight at 6 PM CT on ESPN2. Game thread coming later.
MLB: Mariners 3, White Sox 2 (Game 1) ... Blue Jays 5, Orioles 2 ... Angels 6, Rays 4 ... Braves 4, Reds 0 ... Tigers 2, Astros 1 ... Red Sox 9, Yankees 2 ... Phillies 4, Mets 2 ... Nationals 5, Marlins 1 ... Twins 8, Cleveland 2 ... Brewers 5, Rockies 0 ... Pirates 7, Cardinals 2 ... Rangers 4, Royals 1 ... A’s 6, Giants 2 ... Padres 5, Diamondbacks 4 ... White Sox 7, Mariners 5 (Game 2) ... Dodgers 7, Cubs 1.
NBA: Bucks 113, Hawks 102.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: Croatia v. Spain (ESPN)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: France v. Switzerland (ESPN)
- 3:10 PM: MLB: Pirates at Rockies (ESPN+)
- 5:40 PM: MLB: Phillies at Reds (MLB Network)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Vanderbilt vs. Mississippi State (ESPN2)
- 6:05 PM: MLB: Angels at Yankees (MLB Network)
- 6:10 PM: MLB: Royals at Red Sox (MLB.tv free game)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America: Uruguay v. Paraguay (FS2)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America: Bolivia v. Argentina (FS1)
- 7:00 PM: NHL: Canadiens at Lightning (NBC Sports)
- 8:00 PM: NBA: Clippers at Suns (ESPN)