Optional Musical Accompaniment
Today is 72 days from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against East Tennessee State. 72 for the Commodores is offensive lineman Dan Dawkins. The 6’3”, 308-pound senior (redshirt junior, really) from Staten Island was once the #1 center prospect in the country; that’s translated to six starts on the offensive line in the last two years at Vanderbilt, with the four last season coming at left guard.
And, you might have heard about this: Vanderbilt pulled off the College World Series version of writing your entire senior thesis the night before it’s due, spotting Stanford a 4-0 lead before rallying back to win 6-5, the last two runs coming with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, and the winning run scoring on a wild pitch. Yep, that happened, and now Vanderbilt’s title defense survives at least until Friday, when they’ll play NC State (again) at 1 PM CT.
Today at the College World Series, the other side of the bracket’s elimination game, with Texas meeting Virginia at 6 PM CT on ESPN2.
MLB: White Sox 4, Pirates 3 ... Nationals 13, Phillies 12 ... Tigers 6, Cardinals 2 ... Brewers 3, Diamondbacks 2 ... Giants 9, Angels 3 ... Rockies 5, Mariners 2 ... Astros 13, Orioles 0 ... Yankees 6, Royals 5 ... Mets 7, Braves 3 ... Rays 8, Red Sox 2 ... Blue Jays 3, Marlins 1 ... Rangers 5, A’s 3 ... Padres 5, Dodgers 3.
NBA: Hawks 116, Bucks 113.
NHL: Islanders 3, Lightning 2.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 12:05 PM: MLB: Royals at Yankees (MLB Network/MLB.tv free game)
- 2:00 PM: PGA Tour: Travelers Championship, First Round (Golf Channel)
- 4:00 PM: Copa America: Bolivia v. Uruguay (FS1)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Virginia vs. Texas (ESPN2)
- 6:10 PM: MLB: Braves at Reds (MLB Network)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America; Chile v. Paraguay (FS1)
- 7:00 PM: NHL: Canadiens at Golden Knights (USA)
- 7:10 PM: MLB: Cleveland at Twins (ESPN+)
- 8:00 PM: NBA: Suns at Clippers (ESPN)
- 9:10 PM: MLB: Cubs at Dodgers (MLB Network)