Optional Musical Accompaniment
We are now 74 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against East Tennessee State. #74 for the Commodores is offensive lineman Cole Clemens. The 6’6”, 344-pound fifth-year senior from South Jordan, Utah, played in 27 career games and made starts at both guard and tackle in 2018 and 2019 before opting out of the 2020 season. His return should give Vanderbilt a boost on the offensive line.
As for last night, well... ugh. Jack Leiter pitched eight innings and struck out 15 batters and... well, that wasn’t enough to get a win over NC State as the Wolfpack beat Vanderbilt 1-0. (Given our interactions with Backing the Pack, this is probably the least offensive team we could possibly lose to in the College World Series.) The loss sends Vanderbilt into the loser’s bracket, where they’ll face an elimination game against Stanford (a 14-5 winner over Arizona on Monday) at 6 PM CT on Wednesday. This is exactly what you were not hoping to see: an elimination game in which Vanderbilt will not be able to throw Kumar Rocker or Jack Leiter.
Today, the College World Series continues on the other side of the bracket. First, Tennessee and Texas meet in an elimination game at 1 PM CT on ESPNU; then, at 6 PM CT on ESPN2, Mississippi State and Virginia square off in the winner’s bracket.
MLB: Mets 4, Braves 2 (Game 1) ... Astros 10, Orioles 2 ... Cleveland 4, Cubs 0 ... Rangers 8, A’s 3 ... Braves 1, Mets 0 (Game 2) ... Twins 7, Reds 5 ... Diamondbacks 5, Brewers 1 ... Padres 6, Dodgers 2.
NHL: Lightning 8, Islanders 0.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 12:10 PM: MLB:
- 1:00 PM: College World Series: Texas vs. Tennessee (ESPNU)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: Croatia v. Scotland (ESPN2)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: Czech Republic v. England (ESPN)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Mississippi State vs. Virginia (ESPN2)
- 6:10 PM: MLB: Braves at Mets (ESPN+)
- 6:10 PM: MLB: Red Sox at Rays (MLB.tv free game)
- 8:00 PM: NBA: Clippers at Suns (ESPN)
- 8:00 PM: NHL: Canadiens at Golden Knights (NBC Sports)