Optional Musical Accompaniment
We are now 75 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against East Tennessee State. 75 is offensive lineman Ben Cox. Cox, a 6’5”, 292-pound sophomore from Radford, Virginia, came in and immediately found playing time as a true freshman on the Commodores’ depleted offensive line, appearing in eight of nine games in 2020 and getting his first career start at right tackle against Tennessee. He might transition into a backup role as a sophomore with some of the opt-outs from the 2020 season returning, but should be a player to look to in the future.
So, yesterday saw the opposite side of the College World Series bracket play its first two games. Virginia knocked Tennessee into the loser’s bracket in a 6-0 decision, which you really do hate to see, and that was followed by Mississippi State’s Will Bednar dominating Texas in a 2-1 win in the nightcap. That leaves the top two remaining seeds to fight it out in an elimination game on Tuesday.
Today, we’re back to our side of the bracket. First, at 1 PM CT, Arizona plays Stanford on ESPNU in an elimination game, and that’s followed by Vanderbilt playing NC State in the winner’s bracket at 6 PM CT on ESPN. The Wolfpack, who eliminated Arkansas in the super regionals before beating Stanford 10-4 in their CWS opener, are red hot and Vanderbilt shouldn’t take them lightly, even with Jack Leiter on the mound. NC State blog Backing the Pack has a preview of tonight’s game, as well.
MLB: Cleveland 2, Pirates 1 ... Nationals 5, Mets 2 ... Yankees 2, A’s 1 ... Blue Jays 7, Orioles 4 ... Royals 7, Red Sox 3 ... Astros 8, White Sox 2 ... Cardinals 9, Braves 1 (Game 1) ... Cubs 2, Marlins 0 ... Twins 4, Rangers 2 ... Brewers 7, Rockies 6 ... Giants 11, Phillies 2 ... Tigers 5, Angels 3 ... Padres 3, Reds 2 ... Dodgers 9, Diamondbacks 8 ... Mariners 6, Rays 2 ... Braves 1, Cardinals 0 (Game 2).
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: North Macedonia v. Netherlands (ESPN2)
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: Ukraine v. Austria (ESPN)
- 1:00 PM: College World Series: Arizona vs. Stanford (ESPNU)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: Finland v. Belgium (ESPN2)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: Russia v. Denmark (ESPN)
- 4:00 PM: Copa America: Uruguay v. Chile (FS1)
- 4:10 PM: MLB: Braves at Mets (MLB Network)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Vanderbilt vs. NC State (ESPN)
- 6:05 PM: MLB: Astros at Orioles (MLB.tv free game)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America: Argentina v. Paraguay (FS1)
- 7:00 PM: NHL: Islanders at Lightning (NBC Sports)
- 7:05 PM: MLB: A’s at Rangers (ESPN+)
- 9:00 PM: MLB: Dodgers at Padres (ESPN)