Optional Musical Accompaniment
We are now 76 days away from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against ETSU. The last player to wear 76 for the Commodores was offensive lineman Egidio DellaRipa (pictured above), who finished his Vanderbilt career in the 2018 season. Again, freshmen haven’t been assigned numbers yet.
Well, it certainly wasn’t easy, and it definitely wasn’t pretty, but Vanderbilt prevailed 7-6 over Arizona in twelve innings in its first game of the College World Series last night. The Commodores trailed 3-0 and 5-3 before rallying to take a 6-5 lead, only to see Arizona tie it in the top of the ninth. In the 12th, Jayson Gonzalez delivered a walk-off RBI single to put the Commodores into a Monday night game against NC State, a 10-4 winner over Stanford on Saturday.
Anyway, with Vanderbilt getting today off, enjoy either the U.S. Open (if you’re me) or the two College World Series games today (if you’re Andrew): Virginia-Tennessee at 1, followed by Texas-Mississippi State at 6, both games on ESPN2. Given the teams involved, I don’t think there is actually any enjoyment to be had here; two of these teams will have to win today.
Oh yeah, and happy Father’s Day (this being my first one.)
MLB: Yankees 7, A’s 5 ... Mets 5, Nationals 1 (Game 1) ... Marlins 11, Cubs 1 ... Pirates 6, Cleveland 3 ... Twins 3, Rangers 2 ... Phillies 13, Giants 6 ... Blue Jays 10, Orioles 7 ... Red Sox 7, Royals 1 ... Nationals 6, Mets 2 (Game 2) ... Astros 7, White Sox 3 ... Padres 7, Reds 5 ... Brewers 6, Rockies 5 ... Angels 8, Tigers 3 ... Dodgers 9, Diamondbacks 3 ... Mariners 6, Rays 5.
NBA: Bucks 115, Nets 111.
NHL: Islanders 3, Lightning 2.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 9:00 AM: PGA Tour: U.S. Open, Final Round (NBC)
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: Italy v. Wales (ESPN)
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: Switzerland v. Turkey (ESPN2)
- 12:05 PM: MLB: A’s at Yankees (TBS)
- 1:00 PM: College World Series: Virginia vs. Tennessee (ESPN2)
- 1:10 PM: MLB: Red Sox at Royals (MLB.tv free game)
- 2:30 PM: NBA: Clippers at Suns (ABC)
- 3:10 PM: MLB: Dodgers at Diamondbacks (ESPN+)
- 3:10 PM: MLB: Reds at Padres (MLB Network)
- 4:00 PM: Copa America: Venezuela v. Ecuador (FOX)
- 6:00 PM: MLB: Cardinals at Braves (ESPN)
- 6:00 PM: College World Series: Mississippi State vs. Texas (ESPN2)
- 7:00 PM: NBA: Hawks at 76ers (TNT)
- 7:00 PM: NHL: Golden Knights at Canadiens (NBC Sports)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America: Colombia v. Peru (FS1)