Optional Musical Accompaniment
Today marks 82 days from Vanderbilt football’s season opener against ETSU. Nobody currently wears 82 for Vanderbilt, and nobody has worn it since Turner Cockrell, who tragically lost his battle with cancer in 2018. (82 hasn’t been officially retired by Vanderbilt, though I sort of doubt anyone’s going to wear it for a while.) Anyway, go donate to Turner’s Heroes.
Not a ton of Vanderbilt news today; the biggest news is that longtime track and field coach Steve Keith announced his retirement after 15 years at his alma mater. That will make three coaching changes in Vanderbilt athletics this year, though this is the first where the coach wasn’t fired.
247 Sports recaps four-star basketball recruit Colin Smith’s official visit, which occurred at the same time as 2022 commitments Lee Dort and Noah Shelby. Smith plays at St. Mark’s School in Dallas, and presumably Dort and Shelby are putting on the fullcourt press to get him to join the class.
Four more teams joined Vanderbilt and Stanford in the College World Series yesterday. Tennessee unfortunately is one of them, finishing off a sweep of LSU, and Texas eliminated South Florida. More intriguingly, Arizona took out Ole Miss in a 16-3 win (you hate to see it) and NC State knocked out #1 overall seed Arkansas 3-2 on a ninth-inning home run (you really do hate to see it.)
That leaves two final spots to be decided today:
- 12:00 PM CT: Dallas Baptist vs. Virginia (ESPNU)
- 6:00 PM CT: Notre Dame vs. Mississippi State (ESPN2)
MLB: Phillies 7, Yankees 0 ... Nationals 5, Giants 0 ... Braves 6, Marlins 4 ... Rays 7, Orioles 1 ... White Sox 4, Tigers 1 ... Reds 6, Rockies 2 ... Padres 7, Mets 3 ... Mariners 6, Cleveland 2 ... Blue Jays 18, Red Sox 4 ... Astros 14, Twins 3 ... Brewers 5, Pirates 2 ... A’s 6, Royals 3 ... Angels 10, Diamondbacks 3 ... Dodgers 5, Rangers 3 ... Cubs 2, Cardinals 0.
NHL: Islanders 2, Lightning 1.
Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 8:00 AM: Euro 2020: Scotland v. Czech Republic (ESPN)
- 10:50 AM: FIBA: Palestine v. Jordan (ESPN+)
- 11:00 AM: Euro 2020: Poland v. Slovakia (ESPN)
- 11:00 AM: FIBA: El Salvador v. Canada (ESPN+)
- 2:00 PM: Euro 2020: Spain v. Sweden (ESPN)
- 2:00 PM: FIBA: Brazil v. Virgin Islands (ESPN+)
- 4:00 PM: Copa America: Argentina v. Chile (FS1)
- 5:00 PM: FIBA: Venezuela v. United States (ESPN+)
- 6:00 PM: MLB: Cubs at Mets (ESPN)
- 6:05 PM: MLB: Pirates at Nationals (ESPN+)
- 6:30 PM: NBA: 76ers at Hawks (TNT)
- 7:00 PM: Copa America: Paraguay v. Bolivia (FS1)
- 8:00 PM: FIBA: Puerto Rico v. Dominican Republic (ESPN+)
- 8:00 PM: NHL: Canadiens at Golden Knights (NBC Sports)
- 9:00 PM: NBA: Jazz at Clippers (TNT)
- 9:10 PM: MLB: Phillies at Dodgers (MLB.tv free game)
- 2:50 AM: FIBA: Guam v. Hong Kong (ESPN+)