Well, we entered Saturday with the #1 seed in the East (#2 overall) in our sights, and exited the #4 seed with the 9pm CT (of course, it’s going to start around 11pm and you know it) game against either Ole Piss or The War Tigers.
That’s not the worst part, though, as the SEC Tourney largely doesn’t matter when it comes to seeding in the NCAAs (unless you’re a bubble team). The worst part is that we were up 4-2 in the 9th, and Maldo had Kd the first two batters.
That’s not the worst part, though.
After Maldo gave up 2 singles, he struck out Kessler looking. It was as obvious a strike as that dirt-scraper against Dr. Jones was a ball in the Ole Piss series. It wasn’t a corner-nibbler, or at the knees. It was right square in the middle of the strike zone. It was more obviously a strike than that Jeff Green traveled (which he did), MTSU had 13 men on the field (also obvious), and that Earl Bennet’s 1⁄4 inch shimmy was not excessive celebration (if you hit the ump who called that hard enough, Jorts booster bribe money would have exploded from him like a piñata). Again, it was as obvious as that Dr. Jones call.
I’m not one to complain over and over about strikes and balls (checks location; sees I’m not in Mississippi; story checks out), but that’s the type of call that gets people fired. Out of a cannon. It was egregious and it completely changed the outcome of the game... as Kessler then hit a 3 run HR, and knocked us from 2nd to 4th.
Here are the rules of the mail bag:
- This is a BASEBALL mailbag, so limit your questions to Vanderbilt baseball, SEC baseball, college baseball, or Vanderbilt baseball alums in the pros like Tony Kemp.
- Post your questions here in the comments and I’ll answer them in a post on this week. Just post them in the body of the comment, with the subject line: “Question for the mail bag.” You may also send your questions to email@example.com.
- I will collate the best of said emails/questions in the comments, and cull ones that deal with the same topic (so we don’t have to repeat ourselves multiple times weekly).
- All Anchor of Gold community guidelines apply to the questions. Our basic rule is “don’t be the worst.” Chuggers fans violate this like it’s their birth right.
- Mike Papi and Luke Smith are human garbage. Cowbells are annoying.
...and that’s it.
*Note: Questions about other SEC baseball teams are welcome, too. I just won’t know as much about them, and will likely respond with juvenile, biased trash talk.
I will do this weekly as long as the questions keep coming in. If they dry up, no post. I’m not mad, just disappointed.