Well, we swept the University of Illinois-Chicago Chicago Fire of the MLS this weekend, but not all of it was pretty.
Ground out ends it. That'll do it, folks. Ethan Smith with the 3 inning save to preserve the sweep. It was closer than we would have liked, but a win is a win. Dores are 9-1 through 10 games. Still a lot to work on (cough cough, avoiding pickoffs), but a good start.— Anchor of Gold (@anchorofgold) March 7, 2021
Cooper Davis returned—face cage and all—Jack Bulger hit his first career HR, and Dom Keegan and Carter Young led the offensive charge all weekend.
Of course, the biggest development of the weekend was Chris Mahaffey making us the following graphic:
Parker Noland... CAN'T LOSE! Sac fly gives us some cushion. 4-2 Dores. pic.twitter.com/PlR1mKjLRJ— Anchor of Gold (@anchorofgold) March 7, 2021
You’ll be seeing a lot of that one. My only criticism is it has a lack of Tim Stack.
Up next is Memphis on Tuesday at 4:30pm CT and then out first challenge of the year—a trip to Stillwater to play the Fightin’ Josh Hollidays of Okie State in their new ball park. The Pistol Petes are 9-0-1, as their last game against the Grand Canyon University Fightin’ Bryce Drews ended in a 4-4 tie (game called due to pre-established travel deadline, even though I’m not sure how one travels to the internet).
I assume you have questions.
Here are the rules of the mail bag:
- This is a BASEBALL mailbag, so limit your questions to Vanderbilt baseball, SEC baseball, college baseball, or Vanderbilt baseball alums in the pros like Tony Kemp.
- Post your questions here in the comments and I’ll answer them in a post on this week. Just post them in the body of the comment, with the subject line: “Question for the mail bag.” You may also send your questions to email@example.com.
- I will collate the best of said emails/questions in the comments, and cull ones that deal with the same topic (so we don’t have to repeat ourselves multiple times weekly).
- All Anchor of Gold community guidelines apply to the questions. Our basic rule is “don’t be the worst.” Chuggers fans violate this like it’s their birth right.
- Mike Papi and Luke Smith are human garbage. Cowbells are annoying.
...and that’s it.
*Note: Questions about other SEC baseball teams are welcome, too. I just won’t know as much about them, and will likely respond with juvenile, biased trash talk.
I will do this weekly as long as the questions keep coming in. If they dry up, no post. I’m not mad, just disappointed.