Here I was, having a quiet day, getting things done, staying off Twitter, and then Tennessee goes and ruins it for me.— Auric Goldfinger (@AuricGoldfnger) January 18, 2021
But I can't turn away, because days like today are made for Twitter. pic.twitter.com/3rTSAFsz11
Same here, Auric. Same here.
For those who managed to spend the full day off the Twatters, let me recap (or, if you want more information, but less schadenfreude, feel free to read what ESPN has to say):
1. The school to the East finally managed to fire Jeremy Pruitt and his collection of Azerbaijani women’s head scarves that I’m being told were supposed to be facial coverings in compliance with pandemic regulations.
2. It fired him WITH CAUSE, thereby opening a pretty hilarious Pandora’s box of NCAA investigations to come, so as to avoid paying an exorbitant contract buyout to yet another coach.
Proud of Tennessee for discovering cheating for what had to be the first time in program history and taking decisive action, based on their moral code, to root out the person responsible while avoiding a buyout https://t.co/pwP6VAZan2— Alex Kirshner (@alex_kirshner) January 18, 2021
3. Fat Phil retired. The Tennesseean claimed said retirement has nothing to do with the current investigation which led to E.T. in the bike basket being fired with cause, and quite literally none of us bought that sack of garbage.
Phillip Fulmer is retiring as Vols athletics director. His departure is not tied to the investigation that led to Jeremy Pruitt's firing. https://t.co/sAtDc7UGR8— Tennessean (@Tennessean) January 18, 2021
4. The school to the East seems to think this is all fine, above water, and will have no impact on the caliber of coach they can now attract, as it is the year of our lord one thousand nine hundred ninety eight.
UT AD hired first, then NCAA investigation will take 2 years minimum given current environment (NCAA understaffed, overwhelmed with bkb scandal) THEN hope no postseason or schollies. What head coach of substance w/o NCAA skeletons takes that job with all that hanging in the air?— Dennis Dodd (@dennisdoddcbs) January 18, 2021
Gruden's got to build a staff...— Andrew VU '04 (@AndrewVU041) January 18, 2021
5. The winner in all of this (besides us Robber Barons over myah)?
Congratulations to all our great New Jersey athletes for Chopping through this fall season. pic.twitter.com/MN9SsdJSpj— Greg Schiano (@GregSchiano) December 8, 2020