Optional Musical Accompaniment
With NFL season a couple of weeks away, Zach Cunningham got paid. The former Vanderbilt linebacker, who was drafted in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft, signed a four-year, $58 million contract extension with the Houston Texans on Sunday. Last season was Cunningham’s best as a pro, as he notched 142 tackles and two sacks.
From the Hustler, Tim Corbin was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday night. The surprise here is that it took this long.
And while it’s not exactly basketball coaching silly season, Greg Arias writes about Jerry Stackhouse potentially being a hot commodity with NBA teams, which are, I guess, just now entering the offseason. New Orleans Pelicans blog The Bird Writes profiled Stackhouse for their open coaching position the other day; I suppose I could make an argument for coaching Zion Williamson.
(Look, we’d obviously prefer this not happen, but especially not in September.)
Actual Sports on TV
All times Central.
- 11:00 AM: Tennis: U.S. Open, First Round (ESPN); coverage really starts on ESPN3 at 10 AM, apparently.
- 5:00 PM: Tennis, U.S. Open, First Round (ESPN2)
- 5:30 PM: NBA: Miami Heat vs. Milwaukee Bucks (TNT)
- 5:30 PM: MLB: St. Louis Cardinals at Cincinnati Reds (ESPN)
- 6:00 PM: NHL: Boston Bruins vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (NBC Sports)
- 6:30 PM: MLB: Atlanta Braves at Boston Red Sox (ESPN+)
- 8:00 PM: NBA: Houston Rockets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (TNT)
- 8:30 PM: MLB: San Diego Padres at Colorado Rockies (ESPN)
- 8:45 PM: NHL: Dallas Stars vs. Colorado Avalanche (NBC Sports)
And here’s your daily MLB.TV schedule. Free game of the day: Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays at 1:07 PM. Here’s your SEC Network schedule, which consists of two airings of The Paul Finebaum Show and three full hours of SEC Now.