Van Wagenen said he learned of Cespedes’ decision from his agent during Sunday’s game. When the team sent security to Cespedes’ hotel room, he was not there and his belongings were gone, Van Wagenen said.
In substantive news, the fight over sororities and fraternities at Vanderbilt has made national news. One thing to note here is that students leaving fraternities and sororities has always been a thing, but since most of the time the reasons for leaving were more mundane than trying to make a social statement, that didn’t make national news — and I’d bet a lot of the “hundreds” of Vanderbilt students leaving Greek life are doing so for those reasons.
But, of course:
But students said their real reasons have deeper roots: that Greek life is exclusionary, racist and misogynist, as well as resistant to reform because of the hierarchical nature of the national Greek organizations, which control local chapters.
Sports on TV
Join us later for Andrew’s MLB thread. All times Central.
- 11:00 AM: NHL: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NBC Sports)
- 1:30 PM: NHL: Winnipeg Jets vs. Calgary Flames (NBC Sports/NHL Network)
- 3:00 PM: NHL: Washington Capitals vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (NBC Sports)
- 3:00 PM: NBA: Denver Nuggets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (NBATV)
- 5:30 PM: MLB: Cleveland Indians at Cincinnati Reds (MLB Network)
- 5:30 PM: NHL: Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights (NBC Sports/NHL Network)
- (more stuff that I’m sure will be covered in the thread later)