On Tuesday, I put up an open thread for the MLB playoff games that day, and instead it devolved into a discussion amongst the commentariat of the strengths and weaknesses of various fast food chicken restaurants. You know, just another fun week at Anchor of Gold dot com.
Today, Vanderbilt football plays South Carolina. Oh, look how that worked out. I fully expect the game thread to devolve into a discussion of the intracacies of Prince’s and Hattie B’s.
Anyway, the last time Vanderbilt beat South Carolina in football, I was a 3L at Vanderbilt Law School and a few of my law school friends took pictures with Erin Andrews, who was ESPN’s sideline reporter at the Thursday night game. Yeah, it was that long ago, back when ESPN still had decent Thursday night games instead of having a random AAC game up against the NFL game.
So the temperature of the fan base, after the close call against Texas A&M, went way down after last week’s 41-7 loss to LSU. The 0-10 talk is back in full force. The talk of firing the coach — well, that never went away, did it?
Right, not quite soaked, but very, very wet.
Kickoff today is at 11 AM, because of course we couldn’t get through an entire season without an 11 AM game, now could we?
Anchor of Gold This Week
Vanderbilt released a new depth chart, after which I reacted with annoyance to the insistence on listing a ton of co-starters three weeks into the season. Stan previewed the South Carolina offense and I previewed the defense. We also interviewed a blogger from Garnet and Black Attack, SB Nation’s South Carolina blog, and we all made our predictions for today’s game.
We also did our weekly staff pick ‘em contest, and I handed out my usual Bad Gambling Advice (14-14 on the season! Enough to lose on the vig whether you’re following my picks or fading them!) And, we answered reader questions in the Mailbag. DotP also looked for Lessons in last week’s game and I got angry at Jay Bilas’ dumb opinions on transfer waivers.
There’s Other Football
Yep, an 11 AM game. That frees up the rest of your Saturday.
- Virginia Tech at North Carolina (ABC)
- Texas vs. Oklahoma (FOX)
- Florida at Texas A&M (ESPN)
- UL Monroe at Liberty (ESPN2)
- South Carolina at Vanderbilt (SEC Network)
- LSU at Missouri (SEC Network Alternate)
- NC State at Virginia (ACC Network)
- Duke at Syracuse (FSN/ESPN3)
- The Citadel at Army (CBS Sports)
- Chadron State at Colorado Mesa (link)
- Mercer at Jacksonville State (ESPN3)
Yep, a weird Division II game for parlagi. You’re obviously watching the South Carolina-Vanderbilt game here, and it’s super fun to see Missouri-LSU wind up on the alternate channel.
- Tennessee at Georgia (CBS)
- Texas Tech at Iowa State (ABC)
- UTSA at BYU (ESPN2)
- Central Arkansas at Arkansas State (ESPN3)
- Texas State at Troy (ESPN3)
- Arkansas at Auburn (ESPN)
- Kansas State at TCU (FOX)
- Pittsburgh at Boston College (ACC Network)
- Middle Tennessee at Florida International (ESPNU)
- Temple at Navy (CBS Sports)
What is BYU doing playing at 2:30? I thought, in this time when the Pac-12 and Mountain West aren’t playing, they existed for the sole purpose of giving us a late night game? Anyway, watch Tennessee-Georgia and enjoy the Vol tears.
- East Carolina at South Florida (ESPN+)
- Black Hills State at South Dakota Mines (link)
- Miami at Clemson (ABC)
- Florida State at Notre Dame (NBC)
- Alabama at Ole Miss (ESPN)
- UTEP at Louisiana Tech (ESPN2)
- Mississippi State at Kentucky (SEC Network)
- Marshall at Western Kentucky (Stadium)
- Charlotte at North Texas (ESPNU)
If you guys do not turn the evening shift into a de facto game thread for Black Hills State vs. South Dakota Mines, I will be extremely disappointed in all of you.