To say David Price has been a good ambassador for the baseball program is an understatement. After a record setting three years in Nashville, the big lefty went first overall in the '07 MLB draft to the Tampa Bay Rays, made the all star game 5 times (4 times with the Rays, once with the Tigers - this year), came in 2nd in Cy Young voting in his 3rd year in the bigs (or 2nd if you don't count his 5 game, 1 start September call-up in '08), won the Cy Young in '12, and is currently 9-2 with a Lilliputian 2.38 ERA. But you already knew that.
Beyond being a "lead by example" ambassador for the program, Price was ubiquitous in the last two postseason runs, showing up at many games, being interviewed in the booth, and jumping up and down with the team when Dansby Swanson became the 2nd member of the "Vanderbilt #1 Overall Pick Club." For those who have been following the team more closely, this is not exactly surprising. Price has, repeatedly, gone above and beyond in not just trying to attend all the Vandy baseball games his pro schedule (and bosses) will allow, but he frequently communicates via text message and twitter with more current, former, and future Dores than you can name. Beyond that, Price trains with Corbin and the team in the offseason (as do many former Dores).
But again, all of this doesn't speak to how much he wants to do for the program going forward.
I'll let Tim Corbin's tweet do the talking for me:
The guy has one day off after the ASG and decides to come to our high school camp for the morning to meet kids… pic.twitter.com/W6EJal4854— Tim Corbin (@TimCorbin) July 17, 2015
Let me restate that: On his one day off for pretty much the rest of the season, David Price chose to come to a camp for high schoolers who dream about playing at Vandy.
***MLB Draft Signing Update***
Swanson and Buehler both sign. Swanson for $6.5 million. Buehler for $1.78 million.
Keep it here for more detailed coverage on these signings by Christian D'Andrea.
Here's the updated draft signings list (expect only Swanson and Buehler's status to change by tonight):
2015 MLB Draft Signings Tracker (Vanderbilt Edition):
1. ARI Dansby Swanson - SS Vanderbilt - $6,500,000 ($2,116,900 below slot)
8. CHW Carson Fulmer - RHP Vanderbilt - $3,470,600 (exact slot value)
24. LAD Walker Buehler - RHP Vanderbilt - $1,780,000 ($314,400 below slot)
33. KC Nolan Watson - RHP Lawrence North HS (Ind.) - $1,825,200 (exact slot value)
42. CLE Triston McKenzie - RHP Royal Palm Beach HS (Fla.) - $2,302,500 ($834,100 over slot)
66. STL Bryce Denton - 3B Ravenwood HS (Tenn.) - $1,200,000 ($264,600 over slot)
101. LAD Philip Pfeifer - LHP Vanderbilt - $222,500 ($342,200 below slot)
103. WSH Rhett Wiseman - OF Vanderbilt - $554,100 (exact slot value)
113. CHC Darryl Wilson - OF Canton South HS (Ohio) - $1,300,000 ($800k over slot)
168. TEX Tyler Ferguson - RHP Vanderbilt - $200,000 ($96,000 below slot)
12th. MIN Zander Wiel - 1B Vanderbilt - Signed on 7/11 (amount not known)
19th. TEX Xavier Turner - 3B Vanderbilt - Signed on 6/15 (amount not known)
24th. TOR Reggie Pruitt - OF Kennesaw Mountain HS (Georgia) - $500,000 ($400k over slot)
29th. MIL Donny Everett - RHP Clarksville HS (Tenn,)
30th. CLE Chandler Day - RHP Watkins Memorial HS (Ohio)
36th. CHC Alonzo Jones - SS Columbus HS (Georgia)
39th. CHC John Kilichowski - LHP Vanderbilt