Vanderbilt and first-year head coach Derek Mason are still looking for their first SEC win after an 0-3 start. The odds that they'll get one this weekend are ...not great.
The Commodores will face Heisman Trophy frontrunner Todd Gurley and #12 Georgia on Saturday, where they are currently +7500 underdogs to win outright. They'll face a +33.5 point spread that's actually gotten worse as the week has gone on - meaning that bettors are pouring money down on the Bulldogs to win by 30+ points at home. These may be the worst odds the team will face all season.
That doesn't mean that the 'Dores can't pull off an upset. To break down their chances, we enlisted the help of an expert. MaconDawg is the manager of the excellent DawgSports. He was willing to take a break from his Oktoberfest duties and sit down to talk Bulldogs with us. Here's what he had to say about this weekend's matchup.
1. Hutson Mason hasn't been asked to do too much passing as the Bulldogs' quarterback so far this season (141.5 yards/game). How often do you expect to see him drop back to pass against a very young Vanderbilt secondary that has been burned by luminaries like Blake Frohnapfel and PJ Walker so far in 2014? Can he exploit Vandy's weaknesses against the pass?
2. Let's put the over/under for Todd Gurley's rushing yards at 160. Which side do you take?
3. Vanderbilt's most effective scoring weapon has been, uh, kick returner Darrius Sims. Do you expect the Bulldogs to give him opportunities to return kickoffs, or can we expect Mark Richt to keep the ball away from him?
4. Kentucky ruined the Vandy offense by blitzing Wade Freebeck and preventing the 'Dores from getting anything going on the ground to relieve the pressure on VU's inexperienced QB(s). Can we expect to see a similar defensive philosophy on Saturday? How will Georgia stop Vandy's effective tailback platoon or Ralph Webb and Jerron Seymour?
5. To that note, what has been different about the UGA defense this season without Todd Grantham running the show?
6. Finally, what's your prediction for Saturday afternoon? Is it just a Clubber Lang quote?